Thursday, May 8, 2014

It's my birthday and I'll blog if I want to

Every birthday it's my highest priority to craft the ultimate day of relaxation-- dance class, massage, a good book, dinner with family, some kind of special dessert... It has to be perfect; no stress, no fuss. This is MY one day each year, and it's got to be the pinnacle of happiness.

For my 32nd birthday last week (coincidentally this is my 32nd blog post!), I didn't care about carving out a singularly flawless day. I didn't cry over having to miss my dance class and massage due to sinus problems. I didn't mind that I spent most of the day doing chores and running errands. I wasn't particular about the menu for my "Friendship is Magic" My Little Pony themed party (don't judge, I love kids stuff). I didn't feel a desperate need to make this one day special, because everyday is already enchanted.

I was recently explaining to a friend why this is the happiest I've been in my whole life:

"I was happy before Jake came out as trans, because we've always had an awesome marriage- we're great partners and best friends. Now on top of that happiness, I have this extra layer of fun and excitement from being madly in love with someone new. But it hasn't taken away anything from what I had before; all that deep love and stability is still there. I've just added another level of happiness to my happy foundation. And on top of that, we have the most loving and accepting group of trans and poly friends who have become our second family. It's like all these layers of love and joy that I couldn't even imagine were possible, and I'm blissed out all the time."

I don't need any presents this year because my whole life is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment