Sunday, December 22, 2013

You Go Girl!

Jake/Jasmine is dating a lovely trans woman, who is the most confident, no-nonsense, life-together person (of any gender) that I've ever met. Jasmine's new love (let's call her Samantha) described how she has been dealing with her conservative evangelical family:

"When I came out to my sister, she spewed the ugliest hate you could imagine. She used words like 'freak' and 'bitch,' and told me I was destroying our family. I just laughed it off and thanked her for using the right word!"

I paused for a moment to process which word she meant and then burst out laughing, "Yes, I guess calling you a 'bitch' shows a remarkably high level of acceptance of your new gender."

I continue to be floored by the strength and patience of the trans women I've met. It breaks my heart that they face such cruelty from their own families, at a time when they need the most support.

Jasmine and I have befriended some wonderful trans women who are on similar transition timelines. They've become a second family and support group to us. They are not freaks or bitches. They are kindhearted, loving, intelligent, fun, honest people, who are risking everything (jobs, spouses, even safety) for the freedom to be themselves. They deserve better.

Check out this passionate open letter to all the haters: A Trans Ally Sounds Off

No comments:

Post a Comment